We’ve all heard of green tea and the amazing health benefits it offers us, well matcha just means powdered tea, so those green tea leaves are powdered meaning we get to drink the whole leaf, therefore increasing the benefits the tea offers! As well as containing vitamins and minerals its abundant with polyphenol antioxidants which help protect against cancer, one polyphenol in particular can slow or halt the growth of cancer cells! It also protects against heart disease, regulates blood sugar, reduces blood pressure and helps to boost metabolism. It really is the magical wonder tea! Because you’re ingesting the whole leaf it contains much more caffeine than steeped green tea, so be careful you don’t have too much!
I’ve been adding half a teaspoon of matcha powder into my juices or smoothies for the last year (I only have it in a morning otherwise I’d never sleep!) but I’ve seen a lot of people enjoy a nice matcha latte and decided to experiment make myself one this morning.
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or replace with milk of your choice)
- Oat cream to thicken
- 1/2 – 1 tsp coconut palm sugar to sweeten (if desired)
- Measure out a cup of almond milk and add 2-3 tablespoons of oat cream before heating in a jug or a pan (I did mine in a jug in the microwave for 2 minutes – time is precious when there’s a baby in the house!).
- Now mix a tiny bit of warm almond milk with the matcha powder to form a paste before adding it to the jug of warm milk.
- Add the sugar, if you’re using it, (I suggest you taste it first) and whisk the whole lot by hand until it looks frothy.
- Pour it into a mug to serve.
Now sit back, relax (I managed to relax and drink this as my baby was sleeping! Bliss) and enjoy your latte.